We've Moved!

The Men's Room Bible can now be found at MensRoomBible.com. Please visit us and check out our new site!


The Art of Urinal Selection

When a guy walks into the men's room he surveys the scene and makes a snap decision. In the grand scheme of things, this decision means absolutely nothing. He won't remember it the next day. He won't care about it as soon as he's out of the bathroom. But at that moment, in that restroom, it is absolutely the most important decision he could possibly make. He must choose a urinal.

Women just don't realize that this even happens. Guys don't talk about it, they just do it automatically. The man surveys the bathroom layout and that's all it takes. Millions of years of evolution have prepared us to make an incredibly complex decision in just an instant. It is mainly based on just one rule: At no time does a man ever, EVER want to be immediately next to another man while using a urinal. As you'll see below, there are other factors, but this is by far the most important.

We at The Men's Room Bible will do our best to analyze and evaluate bathroom configurations to help assist you with this important decision, allowing you to draw on what you've learned here to decide more efficiently and to reduce your restroom stress levels.

Let's start with a simple example of a bathroom urinal configuration:


Note that there are three urinals, one low, two high. Ladies, if you didn't know, the low urinal is always on the end. For future use, I'm going to call this a "Low-High-High" configuration. Note that I have simplified things by not including walls or sinks or anything.

In this case, the man faces three urinals, all unoccupied, and must decide which one to use. He has three options:

1. Use the urinal in the middle:

This would be the ideal choice for the "King of the Restroom" feeling: There were three urinals, and I had the power to choose any of them, so I chose the mighty urinal in the middle. Do not disregard the draw of centered urinals. There is a certain power associated with being in the center.

Now, that being said, here's where the math comes into play. As soon as another man comes into the bathroom, you're screwed. No matter which of the remaining two he chooses, you're going to have a neighbor, and that's not good. This urinal is only a good choice when you don't expect company.

2. Use the urinal on the right:

This urinal gives you some outs in case you expect company. The next man into the bathroom will at least be left with an option to take the low urinal, which will give you some distance. Now, admittedly, he will have a tougher choice than you did, because he can't have the best of both worlds. He either chooses the low toilet (explained below) and a safe distance, or a grown-up toilet that's too close to you. By taking this urinal, you are relenquishing "King of the Bathroom" status to create space. The next man into the restroom should at least understand this, even if he avoids the low toilet. He may have the "King" position, but he'll know you gave him his power.

3. Use the low urinal on the left:

This is an intriguing option. As a tall guy, I never, ever consider using the low urinal, unless absolutely necessary. Frankly, the logistics of it don't work so well for me - there's far too much of a margin of error when the stream must travel that distance. Furthermore, it is immasculating to use a small urinal, especially when you had your choice of two other normal height urinals.

With that said, there is absolutely no way the next man into the restroom will choose the middle urinal. You are again relenquishing status, but this time you guarantee distance. If you're secure enough to use the low urinal, this is the place for you! Of course, if somebody really short (or a child) comes into the bathroom, you will feel like a tool for taking the only urinal they could have possibly used. A small price to pay for privacy.

So that's the basic Low-Low-High configuration. Which toilet would you pick? Did I miss anything? Let me know!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all about being the King. Middle urinal for me all the way. Plus, who's to say that the next person in the restroom doesn't wait for me to finish?

Anonymous said...

I've gotta disagree with you, Bob. I'll take the right side and hope nobody comes near me. I'm a secretive peer. (Hence my "Anonymous" post)

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Marty! I expect more of this in the future.

As for me, I go for secret option D: the stall. They're always private. And, you don't have to stare at those urinal cakes. Always a plus.

Marty Buckets said...

Stalls and urinal cakes, huh? We have much to cover on this site!

Actually, I was already planning on exploring the option of waiting for the urinal user to finish. I think we first need a few more urinal selection exercises, so we have some data to base our conversation on.

Experimental Mania said...

i think i'll take the one to the right..
coz then no1 would come to the left of me..
i guess..
but the best option..
take the stall!

haha...
fantastic observation and analysis tho!

Anonymous said...

pon algo en espaƱol sip?

Anonymous said...

I am a gurl and this blog completly disgusts me i am 17 and had sex. wats the matter

Dukey Monster said...

The king of all kings, I will take the sink.

Anonymous said...

I'd start with the tall one on the end, but if I came in second, I agree with Chuck. I'd go for the stall, a door, and some privacy while I do my thing.

Andy Meyer said...

I would go on the right.

Actually, I encountered this very situation today (low-high-high) and witnessed a father direct his son away from the middle to the left side. Watching this event was like watching a lion cub learning how to hunt and was certainly blog worthy. A quick google search led me to this site. Great job addressing a pressing topic!

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is what should a man do while waiting for a urinal or stall? Should he watch the action? Wait outside until someone else comes out and let a bunch of people go in before you and keep track until the number that came out exceeds the number that came in? Should he me3asure the height of the trash can and compare that to his waist? Why can't they install a PSP or X-Box terminal in the restroom while we wait for an open urinal?

Bee said...

wow... i had no idea that so much went on in male toilets. as a girl i can now appreciate the fact that we only have toilets or 'stalls'

:)

very cool blog

Troy said...

What I don't understand is why there's a low urinal in the first place.

Anonymous said...

low ones I assume are for kids, or short arses like me. Today I was in Red Lobster and they two high urinals were so high off the ground there would be no way I could use them without getting myself wet!

Plumcookin said...

I actually always use the low urinal & I am a tall guy. This allows you to have a shallow angle as the stream hits the porcelain and you get less splash out. You guys in cold climates may not notice, but here in the AZ desert we wear shorts and flip-flops 10 months of the year & it matters to us.